29 September 1914

Verdun
Noel Kay writes: "1040: Up to Sedan again, then over to Reims and back to Verdun. 2 hours 20 minutes."

Fere-en-Tardenois, No 3 Squadron
Corrigan Aujla writes: "1539: Back to the Chateau-Thierry-Paris patrol. 2 hours 20 minutes."

Fere-en-Tardenois, No 4 Squadron
Ries Meismer writes: "0531: Patrolled between Soissons and Reims. 2 hours 42 minutes."

Pontfaverger
Odis Först writes: "1625: Long flight up to Laon, the north to Saint-Quintin. Our forces have dug in at Reims, and now theirs are doing the same, but there is some worry that they might try a flanking movement to our north. We then flew south-west across the lines and almost to Paris. We returned to Pontfaverger after the sun had set, and it was growing dark, but the hangars were lit up and the north side of the field had fire-pots lit, giving us a perfect view of the field. 3 hours 10 minutes. After we had had something to eat Ltn Boelcke had Hptmn Straub and myself into the squadron offices. His brother Hptmn Boelcke was there also. The Ltn asked us both how we felt about making very long patrols. Hptmn Straub and I both said we didn't mind at all, and when Ltn Boelcke asked me again I commented that I rather liked being in the air for such long periods of time. He then said that many of the pilots didn't like making patrols of more than two hours, and he would keep me in mind when longer Patrols were required. I retired to the enlisted pilots' tent and said nothing to my fellows.

Anvers
Filimor Hance writes: "1253: Flight north of Paris, then south, returning over the city. 1 hour 48 minutes."

Some people are born stupid. I've had to work hard my whole life to get this way. I'm proud of the job I've done