15 September 1914

Most of the front is still rained out, but a couple of interesting things are happening locally.

Verdun:
Noel Kay writes: "1345: We made the move back to Verdun. waited all day for the rain to let up, and it did shortly after noon. We waited some more to make sure it wouldn't come back, and then we took off into a heavy wind. 39 minutes later we were back at the field that feels more like home to me than any aeordrome we've had yet."

Fere-en-Tardenois:
Corrie Aujla writes: "Sometimes you wait forever and nothing happens. Other times they happen so quickly your head spins. We had just finished our breakfast when a sergeant came asking for us. He was there to drive us to our squadron! We departed Paris at 1008. the roads were muddy but we had a good driver, and we pulled into Fère-en-Tardenois some five hours later, at 1553. The driver asked for directions to the aerodrome at a hotel on the entrance to town, and in a couple of minutes we were on our way. at 1610 we pulled up to the brick building that held our office and officer's quarters. Major Salmond was truly shocked to see us standing in front of his desk. His shock turned to delight and there was shaking of hands and clapping of shoulders all around. Other officers were called in and then I was released To the enlisted pilots' tent. Everyone there was also stunned for a moment, and the the cheering began, followed by rounds of story-telling that lasted well into the night. Robbie Reinard was especially glad to see me, as he had spent so much time wondering if the Captain and I were alive, dead, prisoners, or who knows what? The only bad part of all this is that even though I'm back with the squadron I am still unable to fly again due to this ongoing rain."

Ries Meismer writes: "Still unable to fly. There was some hubbub over at the tents of No 3 Squadron, with whom we share the field. It seems that a couple of long-lost pilots, separated from their unit back when the Germans took Maubeuge, have suddenly turned up again.

Some people are born stupid. I've had to work hard my whole life to get this way. I'm proud of the job I've done