Pilot Officer Mark Fairbanks
RAF43
Tangmere Airfield
Aug. 23, 1940

We were having tea at 11h37 when the scramble alert blared. We have 3 minuets to be airborne. B flight was airborne in less than that. A bit unexpected as it was heavy cloud and raining so we thought Jerry might give us a day off. We were vectored to Poling, where one of our radar chains sit. Breaking out of the soup at 12,000’ we climbed to 13,000’. Harris called “enemy spotted”. I followed even though I had not seen them yet. “12 o’clock low” was his next signal before he dove.

As soon as I pushed on the stick I could see them in the clouds. Harris made the first pass and dove through them. I dove on the trailing Dornier and let go 3 long long burst on the starboard engine before pulling up and raking it across the cockpit. Looking back I saw 2 chutes open from the falling machine. Rolling over I came in on another using the same tactic with the same result as the Dornier went into the clouds in a spin.

Knowing I was low on ammunition I dove out north toward the coast. The weather had become worse if I thought it was possible so descended by instruments until good old terra firma came into sight at 2000’. Getting my bearings I headed back to Tangmere. With 4 confirmed victories already this would make me an ace! I hummed along in my Hurricane right proud of myself. Coming out of the soup a few miles from Tangmere I scanned the skies around me and saw nothing. Throttle back a bit, circle the field once, landing gear down, lower flaps, looking forward to finishing that tea.
Tracers flash by my canopy! I break easy right slamming the throttle forward, raising gear and flaps at the same time. The Hurricane wallowed a bit but kept air between me and the earth. Looking around I saw the 109 streaking for home after missing a sitting duck!

I landed in a cold sweat. Only 5 of B flight made it back ok. Two had been hit and were seen to have bailed out. They were picked up and returned that afternoon though Harris was wounded. He was able two confirm my 2 claims.

I am now an Ace! More important, still alive

Never approach a bull from the front, a horse from the rear or a fool from either end.
BOC Member since....I can't remember!