05/08/14

In France, Noel Kay and Alfred Esnault make a flight from Chalons to Auve and back, with some sightseeing along the way.

In England they receive the news that at 2300 hours last night Britain declared war on Germany, due to that country's invasion of Belgium.

Corrie Aujla makes another very long flight with Captain Carlson. They head south to the Channel coast and when Aujla starts to turn back, Carlson begins waving at him from the front cockpit, signalling him to keep heading south. Following orders Augla travels out over the Channel until they are out of sight of land. Carlson then signals him to turn east. Aujla does so, but after a few minutes begins to worry about their fuel and turns back northward. Carlson signals him to turn eastward again, but Aufla ignores the Captain's frantic waving and returns to land. By this time a thick fog has set in and Aujla becomes disoriented and heads west rather than north. With the sun setting and fuel running low he finally sets the plane down in a field near the town of East Wittering. After berating Aujla for a time Carlson seems to realize that he might not want the attention punishing Aujla might bring to him. They finally find a house with a telephone and manage to get through to Netheravon, informing their commander of where they are and that they will find gas in the morning and head for home. The family invites them to sleep in their barn.

Some people are born stupid. I've had to work hard my whole life to get this way. I'm proud of the job I've done