Originally Posted by Sailor_Steve
I have an OCD problem with historical sims. I have to start at the beginning. I created a French pilot who started training on the earliest day it would let me - March 20, 1915. For anyone who has never done this, it's fun. Unfortunately my French pilot was training in a BE.2, but still...

Two check-rides around the field in the observer's cockpit with the instructor flying. There is a placard on the dash with two notes:
"Do not stand in the aeroplane until instructed to do so."
"Be sure your personal affairs are in order before entering the aeroplane."

Days three and four were short hops in the pilot's seat, following the instructor around the field. Days five and six were navigation training, following the instructor on a long (3 hours) journey from home base to another airfield and back. Days seven and eight were "free flight", gaining time in the cockpit and on my own. Day seven was spent flying exploring Paris, and day eight involved a long trip westward then north, then paralleling the Front eastward then back home.

All this leads to today, my first combat mission. A flight of three Morane 'L's patrolling just on our side of the lines. No enemy activity, but some artillery was aimed our direction. The was one air burst not to far away from our flight. All-in-all an interesting introduction to the war.

Same here always at the starting date when it becomes to WW1.
Go hunting for the Aviatik B1. If do like the mountains try to go for the Alsace Belfort regio, flying in your Morane that is so Beautiful.

Last edited by dutch; 07/13/18 08:20 PM.