Originally Posted by xXNightEagleXx
Now missiles should not do any drastic acceleration or velocity vector that cannot be updated properly within an acceptable time range, unless.... unless.....unless it is buggy as hell and basically bleed speed....oh wait........this is actually what happens in DCS .........

You conveniently ignore that missiles can pull around 30g if they have to, which they do against a maneuvering target.

I mean do you really think that a flight GAME provides a more complex dead reckoning problem than a racing game where players can drastically change both velocity and acceleration vector in a bat of secs

Granted, it's about the same complexity.

Consider that some racing games allows 32 players to race each other which is not as simple problem as you like to sound

Again, same as DCS...

Originally Posted by - Ice
I'm sorry, but let me just ask this question --- how fast is network speed nowadays? How often does this network sync you speak of happen per second or per minute? We can stream HD movies, play all sorts of twitch shooter games and fighting games online, yet you're claiming that it's impossible to sync a missile location accurately between two clients over the internet?

Ok, back to the basics.

You are mistaking bandwidth for latency. Bandwidth determines the amount of data that can be transferred per time. You are correct in that bandwidth has increased considerably during the last 20 years. Bandwidth however means precious little for online games, as the amount of data you are trying to transfer is very small (when compared to a HD stream, e.g.).

What is important to games is the latency and the packet loss. Latency is how long it takes for a packet of data to get from client to server and back, measured in milliseconds. You can theoretically have a bandwidth of 200Mbit/s (good for streaming) to a server and still have a ping of 500ms (bad for gaming) because for example, the server is physically far away from you or the signal has to pass a lot of hops on its way to the server. The important part is, latency has been hitting the limits of what is physically possible for at least 10 years now. There is simply no way that information could be sent with significantly less latency.

Originally Posted by - Ice

Do we not have network refresh or whatever it's called measured in milliseconds now? I'm guessing the reaction to missile behavior would be measured in seconds whereas reaction to other games like fighting games are in fractions of a second, but we can't have that in DCS?

You can have refresh rates as fast as you want, by the time the update reaches the client, it is already somewhat outdated. The trick is to show every client the past of all the other clients. This can however only work as long as packet loss and latency do not become too severe.

Originally Posted by GrayGhost
I hate to say it but you're kind of wrong on this one.

It would actually make sense somewhat, since that is the model that is used in shooters as well. The client checks whether the phantom was in his crosshairs when he pulled the trigger. It is just complicated by the fact that missiles have to act on the position of the phantom.

Last edited by Sobek; 07/04/18 09:26 AM.