Originally Posted by Sobek
Originally Posted by Paradaz
You have to ask the question why on Earth ED uses a mechanism whereby missile flight is calculated on every single client.......it can only ever mean that due to every client having different network overheads and performance then there are different missile flight coordinates being reported to the server.

There is no better fix to this. Planes and missiles cover huge distances between network update ticks. If each client didn't perform some form of dead reckoning in between network updates, you as a client would see missiles and planes jumping all over the place *all the time*.

I'm sorry but dead reckoning is something, independent calculation on client side is something else. Dead reckoning is position estimation that will still be in control of the server side (or instruments reading like sat navigation). What your pal, grayhost ED Paladin, wrote is that each client has a bigger degree of independent missile simulation which is simply ridiculous as concept. Not only it is a concept old as f**k, which has already been said, but also it has huge flaws which is why it is an old method and has been dropped by any serious real time gaming developer.

I understand that watching players or objects teleporting in the map is not a nice thing to see but people way smarter than me and whole ED itself (at least netcode wise) already came to conclusion A LONG TIME AGO that the benefits that comes with methods that lead to this behavior is way better. It is up to the software to deal and minimize or even reduce completely the teleporting behavior.

I'll go even further, with what has been said by grayhost i'm 100% sure that DCS has even more issues that are basically hidden by many factors. For example, AIM-120 that swaps target (eg. another aircraft cross the target path between missile and previous target and the missiles starts tracking the other aicraft) which would increase even further the degree of error between clients but since long distance missiles are already bugged by themselves this error is simply not visible yet.

There are many ways to deal with teleporting issues, one very effective way is to kick whoever is outside ping limit. Then a smart software will release the aircraft to the AI which will continue the mission but wait.................hold on a second..........last time i checked most online matches did not consist of flight plans for players like IRL but a very arcadish method (take off here, kill in this area, land here) which of course will instantly lead to how the heck we deal with this situation since we actually had a void since the beginning?

This is the problem with DCS, the core stuff is so basic and/or unfinished...yeah we have a new word now........ OLD

PS: Actually pure client side calculation is not a 2k concept but rather a 90's concept, that worked fine for lan's party but failed miserably in the internet. Though this is still used for turn based games.

Last edited by xXNightEagleXx; 07/03/18 08:07 AM.