Jeremiah 29:11-13 New International Version (NIV)
11 For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the Lord, “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.
12 Then you will call on me and come and pray to me, and I will listen to you.13 You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart.

Deuteronomy 31:6
Be strong and courageous. Do not be afraid or terrified because of them, for the LORD your God goes with you; "He will never leave you nor forsake you."

NIV Mark 11:24
Therefore I tell you, whatever you ask for in prayer, believe that you have received it, and it will be yours.

NIV Luke 22:42
"Father, if you are willing, take this cup from me; yet not my will, but yours be done."

Don,
I don't believe for one second that this (cancer) is God's plan for you. Anyone that chooses of his own free will to believe through his Faith in the Father, The Son, The Holy Spirit and the Death, Resurrection and Ascension of Jesus Christ to sit at the right hand of The Father
must also believe that God is Good( I feel quite sure you believe this). Job was tested(if you want to call it that) before Jesus sacrificed himself and the New Covenant was established. The Gift, or test as some call it (again, if you want to call it that) that is left available to us after God allowed His Son to Sacrifice Himself to Start The New Covenant is whether you, of your own free will, choose to Believe in The Life, The Death and the Resurrection of Jesus Christ , to ask forgiveness for our individual sins, to ask for help from the Holy Spirit to Repent those sins and to be Baptized into The New Covenant of Eternal life through the Proclamation of Jesus Christ as our Lord and Savior. An Offering of a Gift of Grace and Mercy from God Himself, which He does not owe us, we do not deserve and which we can never earn. Pure and True Living Grace, which we can only choose to receive, or choose not to receive.
I am sure I didn't tell you anything new there, but sometimes we have to see it written plain as day to remember that God is Good All Of The Time, And All Of The Time God Is Good!!! It is His Nature. He cannot be compromised in this nature. He is True to it every second of His Existence.
He has plans to give you a Future and a Hope. He will Never leave you Nor forsake you. Ask Him for what you Need in Jesus name and Believe you receive it, yet in the end, Not my will be done, but yours be done God!
Don, His Will for each of us is that we be with Him in His Kingdom for Eternity. We do not know the number of our days here in this world, that is uncertainty.
What is Certain is that He is with you because of your Faith and your Acceptance of His Offering of Grace and Mercy through His Resurrected Son, Jesus Christ.
Our Future, no matter how long or how short, in this world is sustained by the Hope that He Promised you in Jeremiah 29:11. That Hope, is the Future Eternal Life in his Kingdom. That cannot be undone because of your Faith and Belief in Him being TRUE to His Word.

As for fear for your family if you were to pass on, I can only share this Scripture, which I call on constantly when the enemy tries to paralyze me with fear.
English Revised Version II Timothy 1:7
For God gave us not a spirit of fear or timidity; but of power and love and discipline.

When I feel fear trying to creep in, I pray this to myself.
Jesus, I was not born of a Spirit of fear or timidity, I was Born of A Spirit of Power, Love and Self Control. Sometimes I have to Pray it over & over & over... but, the Peace of The Lord always fills my Heart at some point and I am strengthened by the POWER, LOVE and DISCIPLINE that I was given originally.
The enemy tries to paralyze us by inducing fear to make us doubt in our Faith that God can do what He says He can do, which is a lie, and he, the enemy, has to flee at the mention of the name of Jesus, so Praying this Scripture preceded by Jesus's name drives the fear and the enemy away!
I am Praying for a Miracle for you, as I completely Believe that Miracles do happen and I also completely surrender my Will to the Truth that God's Will is done in your life because He knows the Truth in your Life and what is best for you. Be Blessed Don.

This is straight from the Heart for you Don. I Have never met you, yet you are a Brother in Christ and I am Praying for you and your family. I do no think I am "all that and a bag of chips", but my Faith in The Power of God is the only thing in this world that brings me Peace and keeps me going while I am awaiting my Hope in Eternal Future in God's Kingdom.

Again, Be Blessed! IHL , Drew<><