Nearing the end of the game. For someone ejected from a crashing space ship on to an alien world with nothing but a broken radio, a PDA and the will to survive I've not done too badly.

This stuff isn't spoilers I reckon. I won't say much about the places or the things you may or may not encounter, but stuff is common knowledge I think. Here's the base 70 hours in. I'm in the Prawn Suit, which is a mech sort of thing, and a lot of fun to explore and traverse the terrain in. It's quite versatile, easy to maneuver, and tough as plasteel ingots. It has insane depth capability and a grappling hook to navigate vertical environments like the many beautiful cave systems in the game.

On the right is the Cyclops, a big sub which doubles as a mobile base. It can carry the Prawn or a Seamoth. I've built two Seamoths for specific roles, exploration and cargo running. The exploration Seamoth is named Longbow. As soon as I built it, I found how cool it was to pilot it like you would when flying an attack helo, nap of the earth. Except underwater. On an alien planet. It gave me that same sensation and I go just about everywhere following the contours of the sea floor. The Seamoth is zippy and responsive enough to make it a lot of fun.

The base itself has more interior furnishings, most all of the interior options, and a twin moonpool to house any of the Seamoths or Prawn. And the base now has even more glass smile

I have not completed the main quest yet, and I'm eager to see more, though I have grown a little weary of upgrading my vehicles. I need to do so to go ever deeper and handle the flora, fauna and hdyrospheres that the player encounters as he pursues the storyline. Crafting isn't difficult in Subnautica, but as you know you'll need the materials and with the extensive options it can be time consuming to track it all down and get it all to your base to build the stuff. No one is forcing my pace or choices, but the sense of wonder and discovery is a little intoxicating and to pursue it I need to build more and better equipment.

[Linked Image]

Others have said it in this thread as well, and I'll just echo those comments and say that this game is fantastic, if you like these sorts of games. I make it a point not to bash games for what they are not. I try to judge them for what they are. There are certain parts of me, the old sim-head and strategy gamer that wishes Subnautica was more simulation. That underlying mechanics were more intricate and detailed. But that's not what this game is. What it is is an epic journey of discovery. Should it matter that I can fill my scuba tank simply by surfacing, or that I have no way to see what parts of my base are drawing the most power? That depends on the player I suppose. But the sheer thrill of descending in to a deep undiscovered cave is awesome. The semi-panic you feel when something roars while surrounded by nothing but inky depths and darkness is fantastic. If you're the sort of player who 'becomes' your character while you play a game, you should play Subnautica.

Attached Files advanced base.jpg

No, now go away or I shall taunt you a second time!