Originally Posted by Master

It's getting really hard to continue to be optimistic about the game. What they have is fun but its not much content and it runs like crap.

So what's the draw?

Is it the potential?. Folks really, really want the game to be what they envisioned at the start?

Is it the investment? Has anyone here put big money in to it? Like many hundreds, or even thousands of dollars/pounds/euros/schmeckels? Even if you've only dropped the lowest possible amount, I imagine that still binds you to the game's fate, for better or for worse. But for folks that went for the high-ticket stuff it must be particularly infuriating. It must be difficult to just walk away after you're already in.

I'm not a backer, or player or investor in Star Citizen. But I've been following it from the beginning. The vision, and especially the crowd funding, certainly grabs your attention. The game has been in development for seven years! They have raised almost 200 million dollars. And as far as I can tell, there still is no game there. Is there? Is anyone happy with what they've gotten for their investment at this point? Does anyone believe that the vision is nearly realized? How long are you willing to wait?

To me it all seems a hugely expensive boondoggle. I won't go so far as to say this wasn't begun with the best of intentions. But I have the distinct feeling that the development team are in way over their heads, and now are crushed by the weight of investment and expectation. They are stuck. And so are the 2 million! people who have given them money.

All of it can be yours for the low, low price of...

I may be a dinosaur in the modern gaming climate, but I have never crowdfunded a game. Never did early access. I feel as though Star Citizen can be held up as exhibit A when debating whether it's a good idea at all. I realize there have been plenty of kickstarter success stories, and I have a few in my Steam library as we speak. But when I see people have spent 25,000 freaking real dollars on this thing I can only shake my head at the madness of it all.

I hope the game comes to be what was promised at the beginning, and I would like that game, and buy it. But I don't think that will ever happen.

No, now go away or I shall taunt you a second time!