Does that mean it is not a practical weapon for Zubkhov to choose? Looking at typical Spetsnaz weapons the Dragunov is heavier, larger. I figured he should take a sniper rifle with him so I chose the Vintorez because it has folding stock. Not knowing who/how many he is up against I figured his strategy would be to engage from a distance with rifle if he could. Except he didn't get the chance...

Oh no, it's a reasonable choice. Particularly if he was a marksman or sniper for his unit. Particularly as he's worried about not being detected by his old comrades either, running a suppressed rifle makes perfect sense. The Vintorez is going to be effective out to about 400-500m. If the terrain and conditions allowed for longer engagements the SVD or SVU (which would actually be a reasonable transition for the Spetsnaz to go to by this time period) would have a lot more range, and a lot more impact. The major con with the either of them being a lack of suppression. It is also very possible by this time period that all arms are suppressed, as it makes command and control on the battlefield (and particularly urban operations) WAY easier, decreases signature, and a host of other things. They are still dang loud, but you can actually yell over them. The Marines are currently looking at going fully suppressed for these reasons. If that was the case, an AK-100 series rifle (probably the 105) with a suppressor would be a decent choice, and would be effective out to the same distance as the Vintorez though the lack of glass could be problematic.

One other option would be Zubkhov just going for something like the PKM/PKP and just humping it, he is an insane Spetsnaz trooper after all. And what story doesn't need some belt fed machine gun action?

-Jenrick