How about this:

Zubkhov had decided to travel light. A half-sized backpack, water, dry rations and sidearm. The school sports utility room had been commandeered as the unit's temporary armory and attrition meant he had a wide range of weapons to choose from. He'd selected a folding stock VSS Vintorez silenced sniper rifle with a few magazines of 9x39mm. He put his winter camouflage uniform on, mottled brown and white, with just a utility belt across his waist and the backpack strapped tight to his shoulders. The Captain was watching him as he pulled on his gear and adjusted the strap on the rifle so it sat comfortably in the small of his back.
“I know what you’re thinking Sir. I should be taking the Dragunov,” Zubkhov said, talking as much to himself as to the Captain. “Better range, hits harder. But I need to move fast to try to catch up with this guy, and the Vintorez is lighter and quieter.”
The Captain actually appeared to be considering. “When there is no God, everything is permitted,” he quoted.

(And I rewrote the Nebo section so that it had just moved into position and was coming on line for the first time as the UCAVs made their ingress hence the surprise element.)

Also, in case anyone missed it, Zubkhov just unknowingly overtook Perri and Dave while they were burying their teacher... they are now behind him.

[Linked Image]