Yes its very quiet here now. Seems Jel and the onliner group has moved on to post elsewhere?

I've pretty much retired from any active EAW work other than that related to running the game on Linux and posts on my website.

I make a few posts on SimHQ usually in the PC software forum and elsewhere
I have zero interest in any further EAW controversy so I really don't post here anymore other than ocassion news in the "Still running in 2015" sticky thread as you may have noticed.

My current interests are exploring Linux and am slowly looking into possibilties of playing EAW and other games while using a "Live" Linux running from a usb / DVD / CD disk.

You may have also seen my post related to Atari at Atari announces AtariBox console.
If Atari makes a Linux based box there is no reason why it could not run EAW.
That said it is doubtful they would bother.

However that news (about how Chenais bought Atari out of bancruptcy here: Atari CEO confirms the company is working on a new game console
Chesnais said that Atari’s revival is well under way. Atari filed for bankruptcy protection in 2013, but Chesnais bought it and pledged to make it great again. The company is now profitable, and it is engaged in making mobile games. It is licensing its brands more widely, such as licensing its Atari name for the upcoming Blade Runner 2049 movie...

Raises issues of whether Atari may actually still hold the rights to EAW, and wheteher it may have any interest in the title.
If so, any work I do on the Linux related use of EAW increase the posssiblity the game will have extended longevity.
Well, at least to enthusiasts if not the company.
I base that on the assumption that IMHO its very unlikely Atari would try to distribute the game for its box. But likely that the AtariBox in general will have use outside of 'official' media, downloads, etc.
Since typically any box that can run Linux eventually has various Linux Distibutions / Modifications / Hacks made for it by the Linux enthusiasts for use of those devices.
Some of these even outlast the software that the box came with and extending the usefulness of the entire platform for years.

So to me its very reasssuring that even if only a few people play EAW, its likely this game will be playable for the forseeable future.
Also there is Steam and Mobile platforms and eventually it could be used there.

Last edited by FsFOOT; 10/18/17 03:41 AM. Reason: [b]un[/b]likely