Rumors of my demise have been greatly exaggerated. wink

The CSA won another 2 smaller battles, which allows me to reorganize my army. 1st Corps now consists of 3 divisions with 13.606 soldiers and 60 guns while 2nd Corps acts as reserve for future army enlargement and right now consists of only a single cavalry brigade.

My infantry brigades are well equipped with Springfield M1842 muskets while the 6th Virginia got equipped with Lorenz rifle-muskets from Austria.

All in all I feel we're in a pretty good shape for the next battle: Shiloh.

General Grant's army is currently encamped near Pittsburg Landing on the west bank of the Tennessee river, waiting for General Buell's Army of the Ohio. Once concentrated it is expected he'll strike towards Corinth, deep into Confederate territory.
Since the Union army is still scattered in various encampments this is our chance to hit them hard in a surpsise attack.
For this attack I have at my disposal my own 1st Corps as well as General Bragg's 2nd Corps and a Reserve Corps of General Breckinridge.

The initial attack against the Yankee encampment at Shiloh church goes well:

My skirmishers scout ahead, then we fix the enemy forces with a holding frontal attack and swing the bulk of 1st corps around their right flank. Looks like we managed to completely surprise them!

Grant counterattacks and runs into a wall of fire!

On the right flank we advance on the Yankee position at Hornet's Nest and begin to form an envelopment. Heavy fighting but the arrival of Breckinridge's reserve Corps should tip the fighting in our favour.

With both attacks at Shiloh Church and Hornet's Nest successful it's now time for the final attack: take the Union position at Pittsburgh Landing! This is gonna be a tough nut to crack. We have sufferend quite a few casualties by now and my troops are getting tired. The Yankee position looks strong and they still have enough troops to man a spirited defense. They also get support from several gunboats on the river which can seriously hurt any units getting too close to them. I plan for a flank attack by my 1st Corps while Bragg and Breckinridge are ordered to conduct another holding frontal attack.

While we push the enemy back in the center and on the right flank three of my brigades, led by the Stonewall brigade on my extreme left, manage to flank the Yankee position! While my infantry brigades move into position my artillery batteries start softening up the Union defenses.

Forward boys! Attack! We overrun the Yankee positions!

What's that? Damn! The Yankees surprise me with an attack on my left flank! I rush all available brigades to stop the attack! Several artillery batteries take up position in support of the Stonewall brigade, the 1st Texas brigade and several reserve brigades.

Under a withering barrage of fire the enemy attack falters, then breaks up. Leaving behind a field full of bodies the Yankees turn and run!

VICTORY!

Our losses were serious (6.232, 26%) but less than half than those suffered by the Union army (13.103, 59%). And while we only lost 2 cannons, the Yankees lost 58! We also managed to capture quite a few supplies and almost 3.000 Palmetto M1842 muskets, enough to outfit 2 infantry brigades! We also captured 16 various artillery pieces, a welcome addition to Confederate firepower.
Officer casualties thankfully are low, with Generals John Jackson and Patton Anderson wounded. And we received a host of promotions for a large number of officers!

/band plays Dixie Land

charge

Last edited by Para_Bellum; 01/11/17 01:57 PM.

"...late afternoon the Air Tasking Order came in [and] we found the A-10 part and we said, "We are going where!? We are doing what!?"

Capt. Todd Sheehy, Hog pilot, on receiving orders during Operation Desert Storm