Originally Posted By: David_OC
They have products in the ED store Ice and are making some cash to cover the cost moving forward. I.E Leatherneck is now spending how many years doing the Viggen and F14? What has paid for this? MiG 21 perhaps? What could pay later for a dynamic campaign if Leatherneck chose to do one? Mig 21, Viggen, F14 perhaps?

Originally Posted By: - Ice
Let me frame that for you again.... First you say it was wrong to throw 11+ million into Falcon 4, saying the DC killed Microprose, then saying DC is not viable and could kill ED as it is a small company...... then you talk about ED or 3rd party making a DC??

Let me put it another way. Microprose had 11+ million and you so love to point out that the DC made them bankrupt. Even if this were true, then are you saying ED or some 3rd-party has 12+ million or more that they can sink into a DC and **NOT** go bankrupt? Does ED have 12+ million in the bank? How about LN?

"Making some cash" indeed! Hahahahahahaha......

Let's throw some math into this for fun! The most expensive module on the store currently goes for $60 (C-101, L-39, M-2000C, F-5E). These are from 4 different devs... AvioDev, DCS, Razbam, and Belsimtek respectively. $12,000,000 / $60 = 200,000 copies. One of those devs needs to sell 200,000 copies of their $60 module in order to get $12 million in **GROSS PROFITS** Can anyone tell me what's an acceptable net profit percentage here? Let me go ahead and assume that 1/3rd of that cost goes into whatever passes for "overhead" in the digital software industry and 2/3rds is profit. $60 / 0.66 = $36.9. That means one module needs to sell 325,204 copies to get the $12 million needed.

How much of a "niche market" is COMBAT flight simulations again? biggrin

Exactly Ice you wouldn't try and make a dynamic campaign the same as F4 and go broke like Microprose, thanks for the math.

Maybe a little bit of both scripted/dynamic to make it easier for mission builders would be good.