I'm looking forward to 2.5 and the new Caucuses map for the potential performance increase, 2.0 is a lot faster and smoother now, ED must be tinkering with the engine optimization.

1.5 is a buffer for ED so we are able to still fly around in the Caucuses map, that's why the decision would have been made to upgrade the map so DCSW is eventually all under the one install.

What I'm hoping is while the map is getting converted for edge / 2.5, ED perhaps is taking the time and focusing on weapons, AI, weather and ATC.

Originally Posted By: Paradaz
I'd have frozen/baselined 1.5x a long time ago and stopped providing fixes to the customer/community and focused on the 2.x branch.

I'm sure(ish) ED will be incorporating the fixes for 1.5 within the 2.5 branch but as it stands at the moment they still have 2 live dev branches going and are still releasing content/campaigns that only work in any one of them. Everything they are releasing will still need another pass of integration/functional testing before they can even think of releasing 2.5.

It will probably just add up to further delays and a 2.5 release which is full of minor bugs that they don't have time to look at.....a problem that should never exist and wouldn't have done if they had focused on the merge as the number 1 priority...and not the Normandy map and Spit which have dependencies within 2.5. Another 2 pieces of the puzzle which will need further testing after 2.5 is released!

Looking at this conversation, I don't understand why you think ED should or would do it this way?

ED has many skilled people in many different areas that have to be managed to keep them busy and productive moving forward. These guys dont work for free like the other sim you know that. The problem is ED is working on cutting edge tech, so not all the codes can or would be able to work on 2.5 / Edge. My guess would be only a select few? At this critical time anyway.

Should ED layoff all the 3D designers and texture artist? Or have them working on old and new maps perhaps.

Should ED layoff the coders not working on 2.5? Or keep them working on the F18, AI, Weapons, AI for ww2, AI for ground vehicles, clouds etc or updating scripting minor problems for campaigns. I'm sure there would be floater coders that jumps between groups in this high tech environment.

The forum mods / testers team check over the campaigns for ED and report only if something needs looking at. No time wasted testing campaigns for the coding teams. Like BIGNEWY for example.