Originally Posted By: tagTaken2

Thank God for the Russians, is what I say.

Without Il-2 series, CloD, Rise of Flight, DCS high fidelity releases that just keep getting better, BoS/M/K series, combat flight simming is 15 years of wasteland.

With Enemy Engaged (EECH), Falcon Allied Force, Falcon BMS, Wings Over Flanders Fields, BoBII:WoV, FSX and Prepar3d with Tacpack and the entire Strike Fighters 1 and 2 Series (many of which are by the way are the sims that I currently play) we cannot for certain talk about a "wasteland" in terms of combat flight simming in the last 15 years (even if we disregard all the Russian sims).

Plus, if we didn't have the Russians developing combat flight sims than I'm pretty sure (or I strongly believe) that someone else would definitely fill in this niche market and perhaps we would even have have more immersive combat flight sims today.

So it would be pretty naïve to think that if it wasn't for the Russians that we wouldn't have modern combat flight sims! I believe a proof of this is the new combat flight sim that's being developed, CAP2 (Combat Air Patrol 2) which is already in an "open alpha status" which came up with the objective of filling a niche market of immersive combat flight simulations, something that the Russians have failed miserably to fill and fit in!

Finally and by looking at your "list", it's interesting to note that (at least in my opinion) that the IL2 Series, namely IL2 1946 and CloD only got really good in the former case and any good at all in the later case when the Russians abandoned these sims and their development was taken over by "western developers".