i dunno, maybe it depends on each person, but in the tests i did i was consistently more accurate (though maybe slightly slower) with the laser than without it.

the test i did was to run 1KM as fast as i could, uphill, get the shotgun off my back, spin around a few times with my eyes closed then take a shot at a target i had set up on a tree.

maybe it sounds ridiculous but i think that the extreme heart pounding and the dizziness simulate a massive adrenaline dump fairly well. it was also freezing cold when i did this, without gloves, so i figure i lost a lot of finger dexterity as well. without the laser i had a lot more shots hitting the fringes of the target rather than the center of it. with the laser i don't think i missed even one time.

laser also has the benefit of letting you fire from the hip rather than through the sights. even at close range without sighting a target, a hit is not a guarantee - someone at the end of a hallway is just small enough to be missed by a panicky quick shot. just my opinion tho!

Originally Posted By: Crane Hunter
I'm not a big fan of the FliteControl buckshot out of a hunting context or a last resort for a shotgun that patterns horribly.

IMO you want something that starts to open up evenly at a range where a little margin for error starts to become welcome.

Granted, home defense distances are likely to be too close for that to happen with any buckshot, but if that's the case why use expensive FliteControl when even the cheapest stuff will do?

I'm also not convinced that a laser sight is needed on a shotgun unless maybe conditions are such that you can't see your gun well enough for a visual reference.

Lasers are distracting and shotguns using shot are meant to "pointed" moreso than aimed, as in once you properly mount it, it should shoot where you're looking at without having to worry too much about a sight picture.