Mission # 15/01
March 4, 1916

I have returned! Er..I mean...I've never been here before. Nope.

I might as well be new. Under WOFF UE the world has changed. For one thing, we're no longer at Verdun and no longer have to deal with Widowmaker. We're at Vadelaincourt, which is in the Argonne to the west. Furthermore, whereas before Vadelaincourt and its neighbor, Lemmes, were separate airfields now they've been beat into one. This is good as it gives me a huge 'runway'.

We also have a mission I've never seen before:

Now I can support A flight as well as they've supported me all these years!

Our mission flies over comfortable ground. North of the forest north of Verdun. Easy enough.

Of course it's not quite that simple. For one thing, I'm supposed to keep an eye on A flight, which consists of 2 Nieuport 12s.

So how did we do with babysitting our friends in the driving snow? Not very well. I lost them.

I don't mean 'I lost them while they were on patrol' or even 'I lost them enroute.' I lost them seconds after takeoff. I climbed up. My wingman joined me. I looked for the N12s to lift off....nothing. I spun around and flew over the airfield expecting to pass them. Nope. They were gone.

I hung around the airfield for a few minutes trying to spot them....then flew on to where they were to spot artillery. Once we arrived on station I stayed for thirty minutes waiting for the two-seaters to show up. Nothing. No Huns either.

After a very frustrating time of it battling the snow and wind, I landed and waited. 20 minutes later my charges flew in completely unharmed. Hopefully we won't have to do that too often.