February 20, 1916
Mission 11

After a very hectic week I found some time to relax and fly. As it turns out I should have stayed in bed.

Today we flew to the rail station near Jametz. This was by far our most complex navigational attempt: Northeast or so to the Meuse River, fly along the river until the forest to the west juts across, northeast past Jametz aerodrome to the eastern forest line, then north.

And I nailed it! Once I'd climbed high enough it was easy to follow my map. Nonetheless I felt a sense of relief when I passed Jametz aerodrome. Even though they were shooting at me.

I saw the railyard from a few kilometers away. Nonetheless, I would have had to dive too steeply to get even a partial shot out, so I banked east, sighted along the rails themselves, and zeroed in for my first attack run.

The fools left crates right out in the open. I dove, firing at it. And kept firing as it came closer and closer. At the last minute I yanked hard on the stick to pitch up.

Too late. I hit the boxes and/or the ground, climbed in a nice parabolic arc, then crashed and exploded.

At least they gave me a nice funeral. And I DID damage the crates!

Adieu, mon ami!