I think it's a mentality thing. Sure, there might be 100 easy things to fix that would take 5 mins each to address. But that's 500 minutes added up (or more if you count the time to document you fixed it, find the next in the list, go to that part of the code, etc) and that day would be better spent on game-breaking bugs and getting the 2.5 merge going.

For all we know, the 2.5 update will address many of these things and the 2.0 and 1.5 branches are only getting the bare minimum needed to sustain the new modules/DLCs. So once 2.5 comes out, a lot of this could be moot...but how much is 2.5 being held back by the little 1.5/2.0 updates?

Frankly, I think all module development should have been halted until 2.5 was done, with max priority given to it. As has been pointed out, some of the people working on these modules and DLCs are redundant for 2.5 anyway so they're not really hampering it that much and you don't want them sitting around doing nothing or fire them and hope you get them back in 6 months. Still, even one extra month added to 2.5 because of F-5E and campaign X is frankly unacceptable at this point.

It's one thing if your teenage son gets busted for smoking pot. It's another when they're in their 40s and get busted for the 25th time. Customer forbearance isn't infinite.
Every enhancement planned that was supposed to result in a single new update gets split and broken up to the point that we went from 1.2 to 2.0--except wait, that's got NTTR and it's taking too long but DX11 is ready now, so here's 1.5--and now 2.0 alpha--except wait, moving the Black Sea to 2.0 has revealed some other things, and we're doing this other stuff, so both 1.5 AND 2.0 are now dead ends--so up comes 2.5...or will it be 3.0 before they finally have it where they want it?

I'm surprised they didn't call 2.5 something like 10.0 to give them plenty of room to insert more stops along the way. If I could draw, I would make a cartoon of ED constantly trying to climb out of the mouth of the giant shark named Feature Creep.

The Jedi Master

The anteater is wearing the bagel because he's a reindeer princess. -- my 4 yr old daughter