Originally Posted By: cichlidfan
Originally Posted By: - Ice
Do you have investments in the longevity of a company?

Yes. It is called the stock market. Currently the total amount involved is about equal to 15-20 years of my salary, when I was working. Invest wisely and you won't have to worry about where your money is going. My gaming, however, is not such an investment and doesn't deserve the kind of angst that you seem to get from DCS.

So in this instance, are you here speaking as an investor in ED or as a customer of ED? In one case, the success or failure of the company will affect you, in the other, the success or failure of the company has nothing to do with the quality of the product.

Complaining, about missed deadlines, for example, does not constitute a bug report.

Here you go:

Yes. I have seen his videos, bug reports, posts, complaints, etc. Personally, I think he needs to get out more, a lot more.

Ah yes, but him getting out more (or not) isn't the issue here. You mentioned bug report -- here is a guy that made a bug report. End result -- it wasn't worth the time.

Originally Posted By: Troll
How many times do people in your field discuss the 98% of good landings? How many times do people in your field discuss the latest belly-up or botched landings? I rest my case.

We do discuss incidents and accidents, to learn from them. Very few pilots are stupid enough to believe that the very same thing couldn't happen to themselves, so we dwelve into these matters with great caution. No finger pointing. No name calling. The media takes care of that.

If my colleague could f@ck this up, so could I. I better hear what he has to say about it, so I won't repeat it.

Now, if we were to laugh, ridicule and chastise every pilot who made a mistake, how many pilots would freely and openly share their experiences, you think?

Just reinforcing the point that the things that "go well" don't get talked about because things are expected to "go well." The things that do NOT go well, the negative things, the mistakes, those are what gets discussed.

Unfortunately, some people seem to fail to learn from previous mistakes even when it is pointed out biggrin

Originally Posted By: HomeFries
As far as a DC taking down a company, I didn't say that. However, it has been implied that this was the long pole in the tent.
<snip!> but they weren't able to recoup what they put into the project.

A lot of people seem to love to cite that since a DC led to their downfall, if ED made a DC, they, too, will go out of business. Surely there are other factors at play than just the DC. True, they may have not recouped what they put in, but surely things have changed since that time both in terms of coding and in terms of marketing? They may not have recouped what they put in, but how much of the total budget was spent on the DC? It being a "big part" of the success of the project does not equate to it being the most expensive part of the project.

- Ice