Originally Posted By: cichlidfan
Originally Posted By: - Ice
At least until they release the Hornet and/or Tomcat. The inner "Ice-Man" in me demands I buzz the tower and do carrier qualifications once those modules are out. Yes, everyone has a price, and this is mine.

So once those modules are out, your 'moral' stand on ED's performance will be discarded. Very nice.

Oh, no, no, no, no, NO! My morals will still be there.... just slightly tinged biggrin biggrin biggrin

Originally Posted By: Troll
It's the honesty and concern for your passengers that is important to them.

Yes, of course, but my point is that I'm not more honest if I keep telling them that nothing has changed since last time...
It's the need for information, even if there's nothing new to report, that is so important to many.

So it's not really the information then, but rather the concern and "feeling of importance" that they get knowing their pilot is keeping them up-to-date on what's happening, even if "nothing's happening."

Why continue employing people whose skillset you do not need?

Are they employed? Seems to me that most campaigns are designed by outsiders.

And nobody from ED tests these campaigns to meet a certain minimum standard?

Unfortunately, discussing these things means ED does not come out in good light at all.

And that's because of focusing on the negative. There are negatives, don't get me wrong. But there are also positives, but these don't get nearly the same focus...

How many times do people in your field discuss the 98% of good landings? How many times do people in your field discuss the latest belly-up or botched landings? I rest my case.

Yet I have exactly the same software like everybody else, and I'm not the least frustrated...

Sure, there are broken features and bugs in DCS. I see them too. Development could be more streamlined and productive. Still no frustration here. DCS is still entertaining in its current state.

It's a mindset.

Mindset. Expectations.

Is it wrong to expect a company that has been around for XX years to at least know how to do a job estimate? Is it wrong to expect a company to show direction and focus with regards to it's projects? Is it wrong to expect products to be finished and bugs to be squashed?

Originally Posted By: HomeFries
Of course, people also tend to look at the history of Falcon 4.0 with rose colored glasses. Many don't remember that Falcon 4.0 was virtually unplayable at release, and that the patches that were released often broke the game more than they fixed it (even more than DCS patches sometimes break things in missions). It wasn't until 1.08 was released a year later that Falcon 4.0 was considered stable, and even then the campaign engine, while groundbreaking, was still buggy. It wasn't until Allied Force that I could run a campaign and not have to pray that my results wouldn't be lost in a CTD exiting the mission.

I am not that well versed with Falcon 4.0's history, but what was the gap between Falcon 4.0 and Allied Force?

To be fair, I'm sure people are still finding "bugs" with the current version of BMS ("it's not a bug, it's a feature!!")...

Originally Posted By: HomeFries
Still, Falcon 4.0 created a high fidelity flight sim and an integrated dynamic campaign engine in 5.5 years. Unfortunately the effort also bankrupted Microprose/Spec Holobyte and effectively took Hasbro out of the videogame business.

Is that a fair statement? The DC alone was the reason it took down a gaming company?

They did it, but it caused the company to collapse. If those are the options, I will stick with what we have even with the issues that come with it.

Do you have investments in the longevity of a company? Would you rather a company make a meager product and putter on for a few years or would you rather have a good product? I've heard of stuff manufactured to such high standards that a company would rarely see repeat business. We hear of "planned obsolescence" being built in so many products. As a customer, this does not do well for me at all. I would rather buy one TM Warthog that I know will last me a long time than buy a cheap Saitek that I may need to replace every few years.

Complaining, about missed deadlines, for example, does not constitute a bug report.

Here you go:

link

And just read the description from this video:

link

- Ice