IMHO, ED's decision to maintain multiple version was likely based on the assumption that users would get too frustrated with the delay in both new content and progress in general. I doubt it was the most cost effective solution in terms of pure man hours, however, by doing it this way, they may well have been able to release paid content that otherwise would not have provided financial return until some time in the future.

The utility bills and the payroll are due now and IOU's don't cut it with some people.

Am I happy about it? Not really, but it is what it is and that is only a game that I try to enjoy.

A KSP update once ruined a year of exploration and left many kerbals stranded in outer space. That ticked me off more than many things about DCS's progress. wink

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1