Originally Posted By: Sobek
This is something that generates revenue. Do is really require an explanation in what way something that generates revenue for very little involvement is a good thing for the areas of work that don't directly generate revenue?

Sure, it generates revenue, and nothing wrong with that.
However, is the revenue gained NOW be worth the hassle of having customers complain later on when the campaign is broken on patch release? What I'm saying is that sometimes, it's better to hold back until you have a better, polished product. That way, you (er, ED in this case) will have revenue AND satisfied customers.

Originally Posted By: - Ice

And he had absolutely no help at all from ED?

Doesn't say anywhere that the campaign was done by ED and Ranger79. The credits of the vid also say that Ranger79 is the creator. Why do you think he would need help from ED?

Ah yes... because just anyone can make a campaign, test it, and put it up for sale by themselves. Are you serious?

Yeah, DCS more than most, so much so that it's almost guaranteed.

Pretty much an exaggeration, but yeah, sometimes things get borked.

"Sometimes" is different from "almost guaranteed."

Point 1. Why is it not valid?

Because the credits indicate that ED was not involved in the creation of the campaign.

Does it say that "ED and Belsimtek"?? Does it say "ED and Leatherneck"?? Does it say "ED and RAZBAM"?? So does that mean ED did not help these guys at all? Does that mean ED is not involved in these projects?

Where exactly are you looking at for "credits"?

Point 2. 5% risk is different from 30% risk is different from 60% risk is different from 80% risk. How often have tutorials and campaigns been NOT BORKED after a patch vs. how often have they been BORKED after a patch?

In my experience, pretty often. When it did indeed happen, it got hotfixed.

And here I am thinking "it shouldn't have happened in the first place, it should've been caught pre-release of the patch." I guess it's just me, huh?

How often would you expect a developer to fix a campaign for each patch before the developer decides it's not worth it anymore?

Now that is an interesting question. It surely depends on the business model of the respective party. We do not know at this point how ED will handle such a situation. If i bought a campaign and it is no longer maintained, i would lobby ED to make it freeware so the community can maintain it.

It is indeed an interesting question, one that I think should not be investigated. But I fear ED will test this limit in the near future.

Would you write a program for an "alpha OS" which is essentially what DCS World is at the moment or would you wait for the "OS" to mature a bit more before proceeding?

I find 1.5 a pretty stable platform. Is your experience different?

1.5 is stable now, yes, but things will be different going forward. Would you write a program for an "OS" now knowing you'll have to do more work each time the "OS" is patched?

- Ice