Many good companies developed great sims and features in the past, when cost-vs-benefit was not an absolutely primary factor. These days are long gone though and won't come back.

Apart from sim-flying, I do a lot of sim-racing. Still play heavily modded Grand Prix Legends from 1998 - an excellent and unorthodox sim for that time, but a commercial failure, thus never succeeded by anything in the same spirit; GTR2 from 2006 - the best endurance racing sim ever was, but also not a commercial bomb, and again never succeeded by anything remotely similar. Never played Geoff Crammond's GP4 from 2002, but I know it is still considered a benchmark of how moder F1 sim should be made, and yet, feature-wise, today's F1 offerings by Electronic Arts don't even come close to it (while we know EA doesn't suffer from shortage of funds and workforce, does it?)

I stopped wondering why modern sim-racing developers don't put some obvious gameplay features in modern titles, even when technically they could. They just don't bother, as the number of anoraks who appreciate these features will not provide sufficient revenue.

Same applies to flight sims. If the Falcon 4 devs were to build their sim in 2016, I don't really think they would develop Dynamic Campaign engine for it either.

If ED ever develops something similar to DC, or provides options for the community to do so, I'll be happy. Not holding my breath for it though.