Warbirds Rising news for February:

February 1
The Norwegian Government prohibited all foreign submarines from using their territorial waters.
February 2
Boris Vladimirovich Sturmer replaced Ivan Longinovich Goremykin as Prime Minister of Russia.
February 8
British Government requested naval assistance from Japan.
The French armored cruiser Admiral Charner was torpedoed and sunk by a German U-boat near Beirut.
February 9
A Combined British-Belgian naval force sank the German gunboat Hedwig von Wissmann during the Battle for Lake Tanganyika.
February 10
The Military Service Act became operational in Britain.
The German Government advised the United States that all defensively armed merchant ships would be considered as belligerents from 1 March onwards.
February 11
The light cruiser HMS Arethusa struck a mine and sank off Felixstowe on the east coast of Britain.
February 12
Russian forces began an attack on the Turkish city of Erzurum during the Erzurum Offensive.
February 14
The Allied powers issued a guarantee of eventual independence and indemnification of Belgium.
February 15
An agreement was reached between the British Government and Bakhtiati chieftains for cooperation in protection of Persian oilfields.
February 16
After days of fighting in deep snow and intense cold, Russian forces captured Erzurum from the Ottoman Army.
The War Office took over responsibility for the air defense of London and the rest of Britain from the Admiralty.
February 17
The last German forces left southern Cameroons for internment in Spanish territory.
February 18
The final remaining German post in Mora surrendered to British and French troops in the West African Campaign in Cameroon.
February 19
Brigadier General Tighe was succeeded by Lieutenant General Jan Smuts in command of British forces in East Africa.
February 21
The longest battle of the war, the Battle of Verdun, began with a German offensive on hilly terrain north of the city of Verdun-sur-Meuse in north-eastern France.
February 22
French troops counterattacked at Verdun. The Germans captured Haumont Wood but the French held Brabant on the Meuse.
February 23
The Portuguese Government seized German steamers in the River Tagus.
February 24
Germans breached the French line at Verdun but were unable to gain an advantage.
February 25
German forces captured the key French position at Fort Douamont on the approaches to Verdun.
February 26
The British Western Frontier Force defeated the Senussi in action at Agagiya in western Egypt.
February 27
Austrian forces captured Durazzo from Italian troops.
February 28
The nucleus of a long-range British bomber squadron was formed to attack German industrial centers.
February 29
Converted ocean liner SS Alcantara was sunk in action against German armed merchant cruiser SMS Greif in North Sea.

(From The Great War - Unseen Archives by Robert Hamilton)

"Take the cylinder out of my kidneys,
The connecting rod out of my brain, my brain,
From out of my arse take the camshaft,
And assemble the engine again."