Some of the issue with re-bundled addons/mods is that I have actually had a few authors tell me (in years past) that I *could not* rename their folders, or otherwise "change" their release. A couple refused to allow their addon to be bundled with any other addons, period.

It can be a complex issue, with lots of PM exchanges trying to massage a mutually favorable agreement.

TFAR does add a layer of complexity, I agree. It does limit (or even completely remove) some play elements I've enjoyed for years here at SimHQ. But it does what it does well, and *is* able to be setup by most players in 5 minutes or less. EricJ covers the basics, and I might add that all of those points are in our setup sticky thread (thanks Fridge!).

Outside the initial ACE issue, the game-breaker new player issue last night had zero to do with any of this, however. The corrupted .p3d file he suffered isn't due to addon folder names, or TFAR, not a user error, anything like that. Based on my experience with Arma, this was a tech fault. A file corrupted during download, or perhaps decompression/installation. Very rare.

He was good to go, otherwise, and I hope he'll be set to join us next time!

WARNING: This post contains opinions produced in a facility which also occasionally processes fact products.