I've been playing OFF then WOFF as well as ROF (with Pat Wilson's Campaign Generator for offline play) for the last four years. I've been a member of online ROF squadrons as well ( Hellequins and Jasta 5 )

I like them both equally and spend just as much time with one or the other.

The single player campaign and the AI are better in WOFF, but the physics and feeling of flying is for me better in ROF (you will need some ROF practice to properly land a Nieuport 17 with some crosswind when in WOFF landings are a breeze) It is also more realistic on the engine handling (radiator control is important to keep the engine in the right temperature) This might be a bad point for you : looking at your post you seem to go for simple things. But there are "easy options" if you want. There are also many community mods to shape it to your taste, including better AI flying.

I used to fly with a Logitech Extreme 3D, Saitek quadrant (the three axes are used for power, radiator and mixture) and Saitek Rudder pedals; I have now replaced the joystick with a Thrustmaster T16000M which I find a lot more precise.

My advice is to have both. But the learning curve will be steeper with ROF and if you're not dedicated you might find it difficult.

Since the basic ROF game is free, I would say you can always download it and give it a try. There is a 70% discount at the moment on all planes and field mods as well as Channel Map.

Your PC can run both sims, no problem.

I am 63, so no spring chicken either... wink

Last edited by corsaire31; 06/01/15 11:15 AM.

Gigabyte Z87P-D3 - CPU I5 4670 Haswell @ 3.6Ghz - 8 Go Ram - GPU HD 7850 2Go OC - SSD Samsung 128Go - HD 2 x WD Black 1 To - 27" Iiyama Pro Lite - Logitech Extreme 3D Pro - Saitek Pro Flight Yoke - Rudder Pedals - Quadrant - Cessna Trim Wheel - Track IR 5 - Logitech G35 headset ... and a big coffee maker !
Flying in FSX/Air Hauler, Wings over Flanders Fields, Rise of Flight, IL2 1946 Hsfx, Condor soaring.