The continuing service of Ernst Ziegler:

19 Mar 1917 @ 08h06 Patrol of our lines east of Bapaume to Havincourt Wood

We had clear weather with haze in the distance and winds at 3 kn from the SW.
I lead the flight with Berr, Theiller, Gontermann, Sturm and Bussing accompanying. “Eins” flight sent Schneider, Baevers and Huber as top cover.

The flight to the lines was quiet but just as we arrived there I spotted 5 specs on the horizon and slightly lower than us approaching head on. I signaled to engage and so the dance began. I had several bursts on two different Nieup 17’s which crossed my path while I was in pursuit of one craft. They were from Esc 67. I managed to down one of the enemy craft and continued on circling for others to engage. The skies cleared quickly and I was only able to locate two other of my squad. I signaled to rejoin and just as we accomplished this Berr broke formation heading towards Pronville, the nearest aerodrome. I elected to follow him and as we arrived over the field I saw that Berr’s prop had stopped spinning. He made a forced landing just south of the field destroying his craft but was only lightly wounded for the effort. Bussing and I landed together safely.
I reported in to the RO lodging my claim and indicating the Berr also got one and asked to have him picked up. Later that day the reports came in that Theiller’s craft had suffered light damage and was forced down; Gontermann had destroyed his craft in a crash and was lightly wounded; Sturm had destroyed his craft and was only shookup but claimed one Nieup; and Huber of “Eins” flight had suffered heavy damage to his craft but was un-injured.

All in all we suffered the loss of three craft and damage to two other for the effort of downing 3 Nieuport 17’s. Not good results overall.

YouTube Video:

(System_Specs)
Case: Cooler Master Storm Trooper
PSU: Ultra X3,1000-Watt
MB: Asus Maximus VI Extreme
Mem: Corsair Vengeance (2x 8GB), PC3-12800, DDR3-1600MHz, Unbuffered
CPU: Intel i7-4770K, OC to 4.427Ghz
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Seidon 240M Liquid CPU Cooler
Vid Card: ASUS GTX 980Ti STRIX 6GB
OS and Games on separate: Samsung 840 Series 250GB SSD
Monitor: Primary ASUS PG27AQ 4k; Secondary Samsung SyncMaster BX2450L
Periphs: MS Sidewinder FFB2 Pro, TrackIR 4