Originally Posted By: Bletchley
Not exactly a wish, but some information that might be used to adjust the 'hardness' of wooden fences and chance of injury/death from combat related crashes:

I have just received the new edition of Henshaw's "The sky their battlefield", and this 2nd expanded ed. has a great deal of information now on accidents, with the appendix "An analysis of Western Front accidents: how many 'walked away'?".

Using 13,900 Western Front aircraft casualty reports (RFC/RAF) Trevor Henshaw calculates that of 8,044 crashes and accidents involving no enemy involvement, 6,678 'described or inferred the airmen walked away with no injury' and only '17% resulted in any injury or death to personnel'. Where the crash was the result of enemy action, this increases dramatically to 74%.

He drills down into the data further, and gives the chance of not 'walking away' for each type of aircraft used by the RFC/RAF. For the Sopwith Triplane, for example, the % chance of injury or death from non-combat related crashes is 44.4%, whereas for the BE2c it is much lower at 11.8%. Aircraft types used predominantly for night flying have a correspondingly higher chance of injury or death from crashes.

B.

This is great information, Bletchley, and I hope will precipitate a change in WOFF fence lethality. Right now I don't use "random engine failure" as an engine failure means almost certain death. If it meant a 17% chance of injury or death (assuming I've landed my plane correctly) then it would be a fun challenge.

Dogfighting is what you do "after" you drop your bombs and blow something up!
Can you say "JABO!" thumbsup