I think the theme music and the female choir voice was a bit out of control for this film- all other very ridiculous plot elements aside, if nothing else I think even removing those would have helped a bit. On some occasions, it might work- for example, Oliver Stone didn't use it during battles in Platoon except on one occasion- to show Sgt. Elias' death in some kind of requiem during his Jesus 'crucifixition'. That was to convey a certain theatre going off into symbolism.

Here, they just use it just because there is a battle going on. Two different effects. That detracts from the cacophony and confusion of battle, and kind of beautifies it a bit. As a result, it makes things abstract and I feel removes the audience from it. Saving Private Ryan doesn't delude itself this way- people point out the documentary style cinematography as the high watermark of war films, but it's also the sound editing that works so well- without violins and choir voices laid over it, the sound combines with the visuals. Then you can have theme music during the breaks from fighting later.