From a technical standpoint, it's good looking in some scenes, the special effects look good.

The story is very uneven, so I'll include a little lite spoiler warning.

For all the grim dialogue and attempt to portray a grim, bottomless sewer depicting total war the action sequences are more out of place, they feel like they belong in an action film, there's Rambo territory here. It rips off Saving Private Ryan in key moments, in fact one of the characters is the exact same character, you'll recognize him immediately.

The story tries so hard to manipulate the audience, it's transparent. There is so much orchestral theme music going on during the battles, which is what SPR avoided. For instance, the fighting actually quits during the middle of a battle so that characters can have their dramatic dialogue, the battle sounds may even completely disappear so they have a moment to talk, complete with theme music and that very typical female choir voice that sings that "whoaaaaaaaaaaa" and even piano music to try and convey sentimental feelings.

The final battle is boring, it's just not realistic. Based on the trailer I'm not surprised they went for that, based on critics' reviews I thought maybe my mind would be changed in that the film might be more realistic. But no, it's more like the trailer.

Click to reveal..
An experienced platoon leader would probably in all likelihood not continue on after losing 75 percent of the tank platoon (down to a single tank), and then attempt to hold the road without infantry support, and after a mobility kill- it's been immobilized by a mine. It doesn't matter though because the dumb Nazi attack waves come in and rush the tank prove easy to mow down.

I also question the Tiger abandoning its position and charging the Sherman tanks, if it had to move, it should have went into reverse gear and continue firing from changing fire positions- in reverse. It squandered its advantage for no reason to charge and close the distance- which is unlikely because Tiger crews were selected because of their experience, which is also why they were effective.