Life in MFFA 2 has continued pretty much as usual, with one exception - I have a confirmed kill now! Well, actually my observer shot the EA down, but I got the credit for it in the form of an Honor Goblet.

We were returning from a bombing attack against Koksijde airfield (our regular target - we visit it almost every day) when I spotted a lone aircraft approaching my flight of three Aviatiks. As it got closer, I could see that it was a Nieuport 11 with British colours. Because it was alone against the three of us, I wasn't too worried. Two or three enemy fighters pose a much bigger threat to Aviatiks, but one can still be handled.

The Nupe approached the Aviatik on my right wing and then opened fire while still some distance away from the target. My observer and the observer of the Aviatik under attack responded, and soon there was a fierce firefight taking place in the air. The other Aviatik got hit a few times, but then my observer managed to fire a couple of bursts into the Nupe, which promptly turned over and spun down completely out of control. The Nupe crashed on a field a couple of kilometers SW of Ostende.

I wasn't sure who would be credited for the kill, but after the mission was over I got the claim form, so it was me. A nice little revenge against the Entente fighters! smile

Otherwise we've continued to suffer casualties, but there have been no complete wipeouts in a while, for which I'm grateful.

MFFA 2's principal role is listed as reconnaissance, but I'd say at least 2/3 of all the missions that I've flown have been bombing attacks, quite of few of them against Koksijde airfield. Must be something very important about that place!

"Upon my word I've had as much excitement on a car as in the air, especially since the R.F.C. have had women drivers."

James McCudden, Five Years in the Royal Flying Corps