Originally Posted By: piston79
Originally Posted By: Hpasp

I think that SAMSIM is coded like this, just not sure, what you mean on...
- bisector line
- when this angle became less than 8 degrees (why 8?)
- the 4 degree limit mark (why 4?)
... please describe these in drawing, that I could understood it more clearly.

OK. I'll do a last try (I am not good in drawings I used those from Vadifon)

This is full lead method (middle). Missile goes straight to the point of impact:

Bottom of picture - a half lead. So if we got HALF instead of FULL lead, the missile must fly with the half lead instead of full one (measuring it like an angles).

From the other side, due to transmitor/receiver limitation (and overload capability of the missile IMHO), the maximum lead angle for the missile is 4 degrees.

So, let's imagine that after targeting an object, the system will calculate that point of impact will be at, say, 10 degrees off our bore-sight (SNR-Target line). So if the system worked with a FULL lead method, the missile would go straight at the point of impact ( SNR-Point of Impact line - no target maneuvers, no height/speed change). So, the angle between those 2 lines is 10 degrees.

In HALF lead mode, the missile gonna follow the HALF of the FULL lead angle (the bisector of the angle) which divided the FULL lead angle on two (on HALF), which in our case is 5 degrees (10/2).

Bisector of angle is true only before missile launch. As the missile is flying towards the target, this half-lead point is moving towards the target. (Its not static!)
If you calculate this movement, you will got the path depicted by the sim.

Hpasp
Free SAM Simulator, "Realistic to the Switch"

(U-2 over Sverdlovsk, B-52's over Hanoi, F-4 Phantoms over the Sinai, F-16's and the F-117A Stealth bomber over the Balkans.)
http://sites.google.com/site/samsimulator1972/home

Book from the author - Soviet Nuclear Weapons in Hungary 1961-1991
https://sites.google.com/view/nuclear-weapons-in-hungary/

thumbsup