I've recently read Arthur Gould Lee's excellent book, "Open Cockpit", which was extremely well written and very informative. It details his experiences in 1917 flying Pups with 46 Sqn.

Below are some passages, which I found interesting, especially as they relate to WOFF. No judgements at all; merely some discussion points perhaps:

[/i]Normally we flew only with members of our own flights, but because of casualties and Headquarters demands for more and bigger patrols, the flight commanders had to draw on each others' pilots to spread the work out evenly.[i]

This is interesting, because I find in WOFF that the flights are often formed with different pilots. Rarely do I fly with the same pilots.

Admittedly I am mostly flying a Jasta 11 careeer in late 1917, so perhaps the Germans moved their pilots from flight to flight much more often than Gould Lee's experience suggests.

[/i]"Of course, you know that when I rock my wings", went on McDonald [Flight Commander], "I've spotted Huns and I'm going to attack. If you see a Hun before me, dive in front and rock your wings and point to where he is, then get back into position damn quick. If your engine goes dud, dive in front and switchback, then go home. The same with a gun jam you can't correct. Now for Very light signals. White for washout, red for rally or enemy seen, green for distress. But don't use them unless you really have to - they give our position away to all and sundry."[i]

It would be lovely to have these signals in WOFF, wouldn't it? Especially for rallying, because often after a scrap I have to switch to AI to find the remnants of my flight.

R