I tend to prefer a middle of the road approach these days. Some general systems that I actually touch (meaning... I have the correct electrical/pneumatic configuration for the systems I'm trying to run, etc.), but not so much things like engine oil life, or contamination, oxygen bottle charge, etc...

OK, for a GA pilot those are things he might be in contact with. But do airline pilots ever actually touch those aspects of the plane they fly?

Most of the things I am familiar with regarding engine health for airliners tends to be annunciators for issues/conditions that should be recorded in the log book for reference. Example, the engine spent some seconds in a prescribed temperature range, it's logged by the crew and the flight continues. And from there, I am generally under the impression that the aircraft log book is referenced by maintenance who follow up these things, not the pilot personally.

WARNING: This post contains opinions produced in a facility which also occasionally processes fact products.