Originally Posted By: ePap

Most probaly (i guess) he was tring to explain the gap between the moment of detonation vs the velocity of the target.
This has been solved in OSA missiles, by introducing an appropriate delay of detonation (in order the missile to come closer to the target and detonate) for helicopters and receding targets.

His drawings are in a relations with a tragical incident during exercises in USSR Pacific NAVY (OSA-MA failed to destroy antiship missile, which after been damaged by gunfire, suddently changes it's course and hits the shooting ship). One of the reasons for the accident is that OSA-MA was loaded with older 9M33 missiles, instead of the newer verson, that's why I think those drawings are relative for the 9M33 missile...
Note that in the last image, the blue cone of radiofuse is within dotted line of fragments dynamic area...

As per delay in detonation - it was introduced in later missiles (M/M2, probably), to counter early detonations due ground proximity (that's what I found in I-net)... screwy

Last edited by piston79; 07/03/13 11:00 AM.