Originally Posted By: ricnunes
Originally Posted By: ePap
Do you know that you have to follow the target manually (no auto tracking)...

Sorry but I find that VERY HARD to believe since the ADATS electro-optical system (FLIR) is based on an enhanced version of the AH-64 Apache FLIR and the Apache FLIR does have an autotracking function! So if the Apache FLIR has autotracking so does have the ADATS.

Besides and since the ADATS uses FLIR (termal imaging) to track targets this makes the ADATS effective at night and adverse weather conditions, situations that will hamper systems that are relying solely on TV systems.

Originally Posted By: ePap
15 tons on M113 carrier can hardly move even in plain ground?

Again very hard to believe! The Canadians sent M113s to Afghanistan (albeit no ADATS version of course) because and since the M113 are tracked they had much better off-road mobility than wheeled vehicles (such as the LAVIII). So and sorry but saying that the M113 "can hardly move even in plain ground" is very, very far off from reality!

Regarding the demand that the ADATS exported to Greece could never be transferred to Cyprus (and a few more details regarding the ADATS and it's potential export to Greece), here you are:

http://ploughshares.ca/pl_publications/s...ered-to-greece/

Answers line by line.

1. FLIR of AH-64 first generation thermal imager is capable to autotrack ground targets but not high speed airplanes .Please do believe it or ask hello pilots.

2. You mast be joking saying that you can use ADATS in adverse visibility and weather conditions.
FLIR , laser (beam rider) and rear infrared indicator of missile are heavily affected by the above conditions ,what's why serious Shorad systems (Russian,Frence,German,swidish)include tracking radars as primary tracking systems.

3. I know nothing about ADATS send in Afganistan.For sure I know the capabilities of mighty Taliban Air Forces and how dengerous are they,but I am ready to accept it if you prove it somehow.

4. If the M113a2 is ok why they want to upgrade the system carrier with LAV III?They have so much money to spent?
When the US Army tested (and not accepted finally) it, they installed it in Brandleys.

5. Greece was offered ADATs as a used system by Canada and so there was a LITTLE concern about the end user certificate.
a. ADATS were manufactured by Oerlicon Zurich Switzerland.
b. Cyprus Army bought and use Skygard and aspide SAM from Oerlicon Zurich Switzerland.
c. Greece was negotiating for new brand ADATS systems much more capable but not existing (only in papers) and because of the late deliveries (after 6years!!!)
an intermideate solution with 12 used ADATS was offered.

6. Greek army is present (under the law of UN) in Syprus and use all NATO systems for his own protection and so ADATS was not a problem. We do not intend to transfer the ownership to Cyprus Army.

7. Any questions regarding OSA-AKM ? smile2

Last edited by ePap; 05/23/13 05:39 PM.