Originally Posted By: ePap
Quiz

What is the difference between a ground target and a landed/hovering helicopter ,as a target for an ADA system!

One is in the air (hovering helicopter) while the other isn't (ground target and landed helicopter). biggrin
Now seriously, I can imagine that when using the radar to guide a SAM there's quite a difference between air target and ground target due to ground clutter but when using a optical system to guide a SAM it doesn't matter if it's on the ground or air, you just need to point the optical/TV system towards the intended target.

Regarding optical Anti-Air (SAM) systems, one SAM system that I find quite interesting is the Canadian ADATS which is indeed considered a dual purpose system (ADATS - Air Defence Anti-Tank System) and this dual purpose is possible because the missile relies on optical systems (FLIR and Day TV) to guide the missile (which is Laser guided) and of course the missile also carries a warhead capable of defeating armored targets (besides aircraft).

Now that we have optical systems in SAM simulator can I request the ADATS for a future system to be added to SAM Simulator? wink

BTW, some info regarding the ADATS:
http://www.army-technology.com/projects/adats/