Regarding EA & EP techniques solely in the radar spectrum, I wonder, how fluid is this tactical game between the two protagonists? In a dogfight for instance between two aircraft the situation is very dynamic, with move and counter move played out in quick succession.
With EW the following questions arise:
1) If my radar is being jammed or deceived (ignoring using other none radar methods of target tracking) what can be done, is a radar able to solve some of these problems or is it game over?
2) No radar is impervious to being jammed or deceived, if I discover during conflict that my opposition is exploiting weaknesses with characteristics of my radar, would this usually result in a hardware upgrade (e.g new antenna), software upgrade, both or it depends on techniques against me being used?
3) Assuming my radar is susceptible to velocity deception jamming from a particular aircraft, will that aircraft always enjoy a specific and fix probability of success against me or are there other variables at work meaning that sometimes its jamming/deceiving will not always be as effective?
There are several Jamming methods.
Some are effective against one type of radar system, while can be totally ineffective (even counter productive) against other SAM types.
The effectiveness of a Jamming method are depending on several factors including, Jammer plane aspect, Jammer/Radar operator proficiency, Jammer distance, etc...
There is no "Magic" jamming method, that could negate all SAM types.
Publicly available books are good references on this topic...
"Essentials of Electronic Warfare Book" is quite good,
"The History of U.S. Electronic Warfare Vol III"
In this topic we will discuss some of the following techniques...Denial Jamming:
- Barrage Noise Jamming
- Spot Noise Jamming
- Swept Spot Noise Jamming
- Cover Pulse Noise Jamming
- Modulated Noise Jamming
- False Target Jamming
- Range Deception Jamming (Range Gate Pull Off)
- Angle Deception Jamming (Inverse Amplitude Modulation, Inverse Gain Jamming, Swept Square Wave
- Velocity Deception Jamming (Velocity Gate Pull Off, Doppler Noise, Narrow-band Doppler Noise, Doppler False Targets)
- Mono-pulse Deception Jamming (Cross Polarization Jamming, Cross Eye Jamming)
... and their effect of the systems depicted in the SAMSIM.
(In the future, it is a possible development direction, to add these advanced jamming methods into SAMSIM)