Originally Posted By: Lieste
Still concerned about 100% lethality of the whole fuselage (with BZT) and of the whole airframe (with OFZ)...

Not a thoroughly sourced document (struggling to find anything ~ I'll have to boot up my really old machines and see if I archived documents that I found a few years ago...), but although this was from a 'less than reliable' site, the conclusions are plausible, and there is a question mark about 'why develop' or 'prefer' the 2S6 or ZSU 37-2 with their higher calibre weapons if the 23mm shell is so very lethal.

From Tunguska development history:
Quote:
Studies were conducted and demonstrated that a 30 mm cannon would require two-to-three times fewer shells to destroy a given target than the 23 mm cannon of the ZSU-23-4, and that firing at a MiG-17 (or similarly at, in case of war, NATO's Hawker Hunter or Fiat G.91) flying at 300 m/s, with an identical mass of 30 mm projectiles would result in a kill probability of 1.5 times greater than with 23 mm projectiles. An increase in the maximum engagement altitude from 2,000 to 4,000 m and increased effectiveness when engaging lightly armoured ground targets were also cited.

Note that 30mm rounds are ~ 2x as heavy as 23mm, so lethality is expected to be 3x per round (for both accuracy and destructiveness together).

The TRADOC on the ZSU indicates (although only for optical guidance) that a 500m straight and level F4 would be destroyed only 1/6 of the time by a 40 rd burst at minimal range, falling to only 13% at 1000m and 7% at 2000m. Not sure how many rounds would be expected to hit in each case which would have an impact on the per-round lethality... but I'd expect at least 'several' at the closer distances.

I used to laugh on US materials referring Soviet air defense systems...
(just check US material on SA-2 ...)

We will simulate only radar guided fire here:
- against helicopters, or slow planes you expected to achieve kill in 5~10 shots per tube. (from all 4)
- against fast planes, or missiles you expected to achieve kill in 10~50 shots per tube. (from all 4)

Hpasp
Free SAM Simulator, "Realistic to the Switch"

(U-2 over Sverdlovsk, B-52's over Hanoi, F-4 Phantoms over the Sinai, F-16's and the F-117A Stealth bomber over the Balkans.)
http://sites.google.com/site/samsimulator1972/home

Book from the author - Soviet Nuclear Weapons in Hungary 1961-1991
https://sites.google.com/view/nuclear-weapons-in-hungary/

thumbsup