I've never used Project Apollo but I've done all of the AMSO flights up through Apollo 15, definitely recommended. Get IMFD also, it makes the flights much easier once you get the hang of IMFD (that in itself is no small task either). AMSO includes some decent (as far as Orbiter goes) sceneries of each Apollo landing site too. AMSO has several autopilot programs that correspond to the real Apollo flights, but don't require much from you other than pressing the K key and scrolling through which one you want to run. I think the Project Apollo addon requires you to actually enter the program codes and things like the crews had to do. More realistic I suppose but I don't mind how AMSO does it. It's still space flight and it's still got plenty for you to do wrong if you're not careful! I don't know how Project Apollo is but also the spacecraft modeling in AMSO is arguably the best available in Orbiter.

Most addons, at least the ones I've used, are packaged to just unzip into your main Orbiter directory and will put their files into the correct folders automatically.

One other thing by the way, Orbiter doesn't write anything to the registry - it's entirely contained in the directory folder. So, you can easily back it up by just saving a copy of the whole Orbiter folder if you're experimenting with addons.

You know, I've personally flown over 194 missions and I was shot down on every one. Come to think of it, I've never landed a plane in my life. - Admiral Benson, Hot Shots