Unfortunately, LB2 is a very strange game in that almost everyone we come across has a different set of issues with trying to run it on modern systems. Phoenix's fixes helped me greatly, at first, but I also get that CTD after every mission when running in 3DFX mode. Me and another guy or two did actually narrow that particular CTD down to the fact that we are using USB joysticks, strangely enough - as when you don't have the joystick plugged in, you don't get the crash. Why it affects 3DFX mode only though, is weird. Or does it affect the other modes too? I can't remember now.

But of course, you just have to have a joystick to play LB2. Just for an experiment, unplug your joystick and see if you don't get the CTD after a mission (you don't actually have to do the mission, just enter it then quit).

Some people (like me) do in fact get a rather rudimentary implementation of VRS in LB2, on modern systems. It was one of the things that finally made me give up with the sim, every time I tried to come to a hover and lowered my collective a bit, I'd go into a mad uncontrollable VRS. Must be something to do with the in-game mechanics cycling too fast.