Another interesting MP Thread:

http://simhq.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/3187849/1.html

I am trying to remember how we did Hamachi. Hamachi has d(evolved) over time. Below are my recollections. Probably there are threads here that will document it better.

EARLY ON, we could join someone's virtual Hamachi Network and use the IPX LAN browser (clicking on the FOLDER in the Comm Shack) to find each other. This method had the advantage that the HOST could fly CP/G if they wanted. With regular TCP/IP connections, the HOST must be a Pilot, though it doesn't matter what slot he is in.

Next Hamachi iteration, we had to go TCP/IP, with the Clients entering the 5.x.x.x Hamachi address of the Host after clicking the KEYBOARD (HOST/MASTER clicks the MONITOR and waits).

Last time, if I recall correctly, even when connected with Hamachi, the clients entered the REAL Public IP address of the Host to make the connection.

Haven't tried it for awhile, hope it still works at all!!

Ahh this seems pretty well documented:

http://simhq.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/3178215/1.html

Originally Posted By: Recluse
Eugene and I just spent a frustrating 3.5 hrs on the Hamachi LB2 project. In the end, we declared SUCCESS, but the road was hard.

The successful configuration involved:

Downgrading to Version 1.03. (Version 2.03.85 would not work for ANYTHING..odd since we had previously gotten a 2.0.x version to work and Eugene had SBPro working with it) Possible other versions including older 2.x versions may have worked, but we used the version AV8R had running for consistency.
Making sure that the Hamachi Network Adapter was set to the TOP of the Network adapter list
Configuring a suitable UDP/TCP port for all tunneling traffic (This option seemed to have disappeared or been buried in Version 2)

With the above caveats, when connected with Hamachi, we were STILL not able to see each other's LB2 games in the NETWORK (IPX LAN) mode. (both players clicking on the FOLDER (NETWORK GAME)This HAD worked at some point previously. The only real downside to this, is in TCP/IP mode, the HOST must be Pilot if playing Pilot/CP-G. In LAN mode, ANY player including the Host can be Gunner. We don't use this mode much, so no big loss.

We could, by entering the HAMACHI IP address, do a normal TCP/IP connection in LB2 (Host clicks the Monitor, client clicks the keyboard). We successfully flew a mission.

Note that we DID verify that WITHOUT Hamachi, while we could make a connection, the usual failure to transition into the 3D world when FLY was selected was still the case.

Unfortunately, that ForceBindIP program didn't seem to work with LB2. Didn't try to bind the Hamachi IP, but I tried to bind my regular WAN IP to beat the Router bug. Unfortunately, when doing that, not even MY name as Host appeared in the LB2 connection screen when starting Multiplayer, so I guess that is out.

Looking (again) at a Gaming VPN solution called Tunngle . It is supposed to work better than Hamachi for any LAN capable game AND works on Windows 7. Most of the games listed are fairly recent, so we can't know how it will work for LB2, but it is worth a try.

EDIT: I downloaded and installed TUNNGLE. It is as complicated and gaudy an interface as Hamachi is spare and simple. Similar to KALI but more cluttered, IMHO. Geared toward the teenage gamer, I think. I haven't figured out how to MAKE a network inside the GENRE browser, but there are already networks for things like Allied Force, BMS, Apache Air Assault etc.. not to mention many shooters and other games. There is also the possibility to create pw protected Private Networks, but, I think, in practice, as long as 2 people are in the same 'network room' it doesn't matter what it says. The groupings are only to facilitate gamers finding others playing the same game and getting into the same space, but ANY LAN Game launched in one of those rooms should connect with a similar game.

Be interesting to try with LB2

Last edited by Recluse; 03/06/12 01:46 PM.

Long system spec sig follows:

PowerSpec G436
Lian Li ATX 205
MSI Z490 Plus Motherboard
Intel Core i7 10700K 3.8 GHz
32 GB RAM DDR4 1600
Nvidia RTX3070

Windows 10 Professional 64 Bit

Flight Gear:

Cougar Hotas S/N 26453
Thrustmaster RCS Rudder Pedals