Talking about your collective (throttle) observations, reminded me of some rather geeky calculations that I came up with years ago.

Extract from my Flyboy's Strategy Guide for Jane's Combat Simulations Longbow 2

Quote:
When FUEL PSI is low, you tend to use around 1lb of fuel every second. This is opposed to 1lb every 3-4 seconds when you are not damaged. Here are some estimated times of travel when the fuel line is leaking:

Key: Fuel left (lbs) - Time (in minutes) before tank runs empty
500 lbs - 08.30 mins
1000 lbs - 16.60 mins
1500 lbs - 25.00 mins
2000 lbs - 33.30 mins

* Times are rough and are based on using maximum collective.

* Divide the amount of fuel left by 60 to get the rough time remaining. This only works if the fuel is being used at a rate of a pound per second. If the fuel is being used at a rate of a pound every two seconds, then divide the amount of fuel by 30.

* This calculation is handy, as on your IHADSS you get an ETA for waypoints. You can work out whether you can make it back to base or not. So, if the time before the tank runs empty is more than the time it takes to get back to base (Waypoint 1), then you will make it. Note, you will not make it easily if the time matches, as you have to allow a minute or so to pull up into a hover and land without crashing.

* If you have to, go to another FARP. You can add a waypoint to the chosen FARP in the map screen (Alt N) - see how long it will take to get there by looking at the waypoint ETA time on your IHADSS or MFD.

biggrin