This thread summarizes grapical issues people have had with the sim. My hope is to summarize these issues along with their known fixes or workarounds.

Fixes solve the problem without a loss of image quality.
Workarounds alleviate the problem at the expense of image quality.

Issue #1: Gridlines in the water
CAUSE: Windows XP, Anti-aliasing, "Low Level Noise Mapping" and "Sparkling Water" enabled

FIX: Run Windows 98
FIX: For nVidia GeForce users, run Forceware 56.72 or detonators 30.xx or earlier (old drivers available at www.guru3d.com )
FIX: For ATI users, run Catalyst drivers 4.1 or higher and enable antialiasing
FIX: For ATI users, run a program called Radlinker and use it to control the sim's graphics settings. (see notes below)
WORKAROUND: For nVidia users, disable Anti-aliasing and run detonators 43.45, 44.03, or 45.23.
WORKAROUND: For ATI users, disable anti-aliasing.
WORKAROUND: Uncheck "Low Level Noise Mapping" and "Sparkling Water" in the graphics options of the sim.

Issue #2: Slowdowns in Air-to-Air Master Mode
CAUSE: Windows XP, DirectX version equal or later to 9.0, ATI 9500/9700/9800-based video cards

FIX: Run Windows 98
FIX: for nVidia users, run DirectX version 8.1 or earlier.
FIX: for nVidia users, run 30.xx or 40.xx series detonators
WORKAROUND: disable Anti-aliasing
WORKAROUND: Don't use your Air-to-Air radar rolleyes
WORKAROUND: Keep your HUD off-screen rolleyes
WORKAROUND: Do a snap shot missle launch (i.e. turn on radar, lock, fire, turn off radar.
WORKAROUND: Do a "heads down" missile shot.

It should be noted that if you use DirectX 8.1 (or any DirectX less than 9.0b), you have certain security vulnerabilities that need to be corrected with the appropriate MS patch, which is discussed and is available at http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/bulletin/ms03-030.mspx

INFORMATION ABOUT USING DIRECTX BUSTER:
thread

RADLINKER NOTES:
Current versions of Radlinker do not solve the gridline problem. Furthermore, Radlinker is not compatible with ATI's catalyst control center. In order to gain the benefit Radlinker provides to the sim, you must run version 0908, available for download here .

Please feel free to correct and/or add information. I will add to the top post to keep things as accurate and up to date as possible.

Joe