Originally Posted By: Dart
Quote:
They have the moral right to do as best pleases them in this type of case.

And thus we come to the root of the problem.

It's a flight sim. Entertainment software. Where do "moral rights" enter in?

I wish I could meet whomever it was that started handing out Internet Activist badges and slap them silly.

It's a friggin' game.

Most of the planet's population wishes the highest need for the defense of "moral rights" was a WWII flight sim. Then issues of slavery, oppression, tyranny, starvation, etc. would have been solved to the point where they're meaningless.

Systematic rape and slaughter in Western Sudan is a tragedy that is morally wrong. Those people have a moral right to live in peace.

I wonder how they would react to someone explaining to them that complaining about a flight sim is a moral right.

One has a moral right, within in reason, to pursue happiness, even on an internet flight sim forum. The fact that people in southern Africa are deprived of their right to life does not mean people on SimHQ have to give up their freedom to post as they will (within the established guidelines), any more than the face of terrorist attacks in India or Packistan should prevent one from being able to cross state lines in America at will. The issues are unrelated an independent of each other.

People are free to go where the like on internet forums. It just seems to me that the attitudes of some are a bit "pollyanna"-like, especially considering I have observed as much or more ugliness by those defending the game as those attacking it. Certainly, even among those of us who do not have it, there are many (myself included) who have bought every IL-2 title to date, who for years breathlessly anticipated this flight sim revolution, and who even at on point were planning or attempting to purchase it in advance form European distributors, who have thus earned the right (to the extent anyone possesses it) to be critical of the game.