Hello,

This is the first post I make on this forum, although I have been lurking around here for a few years in search of knowledge and tips & tricks.

I thought I'd share with you my recent experiences with Longbow 2 and how I got it working beautifully and in my opinion better than ever.

Longbow 2 has been with me for almost half my life now (I'm 28). Having played it on and off whenever I have had the chance and my computer setups allowed it.

Earlier this year I bought a new Macbook Pro laptop and on it I installed Windows 7 (64 bit) alongside OS X to be able to run Flight Simulator X and use my 40" LED TV as a display. And be able to sit comfortably in my armchair. :-)
Then I thought of the idea to try this out with Longbow 2.

After some initial struggles with the installation I found the Vista/Windows 7 package here and finally, success. Thanks Flyboy!

For stability I applied the LB2 compatibility database.

I have tried both nGlide 0.96 and dgVoodoo 1.5 extensively and dgVoodoo seems to be the better working of the two. Way better control over results than nGlide.

Having a laptop brings some nice benefits to the table. Windows give you different configurable power saving plans. Among the options are mininum/maximum allowed CPU power. I simply set the values ridiculously low (like 1%/2%) and now LB2 runs absolutely perfectly. The flight model feels like I remembered on my earliest systems. No more sudden blade stalls or things like that. HE rockets are more accurate aswell but not quite perfect. Limiting the CPU also got me rid of the repeating of input glitch that some people are experiencing.

As I mentioned I use my LED TV as a display and i set the resolution and refresh rate in Windows to 1920x1080@24Hz. This in combination with vsync in dgVoodoo also keeps frames down and more like the speeds we were used to back in the day.

All in all this masterpiece now runs smooth as silk on a larger display than I ever had before.
Back in 1997 I had neither of X45 joysticks, 40" TV:s or comfortable armchairs... :-D

I hope Combat Helo will match this! ;-)

"2S6 detected, twelve o'clock"