Originally Posted By: Plainsman
Originally Posted By: soaringbird
To be honest I don't understand all that disappointment from the game and why people still consider it broken or unfinished after the patches. Any game has bugs. FSX was a bugs feast when it came and hardly ran on any pc. I remember a huge ugly green/violet stripes on the water in fsx at some point.

Sorry, but you are totally wrong. Go back and check the reviews on FSX and ROF when they were first released. You won't find anything, ANYTHING, like the 45% given COD by Andy MaHood, of PC Gamer, the most respected sim reviewer for the last 20 years, or by any other professional reviewer. Fanboys trying to equate first release of COD to first release of any other prominent sim just sound desperate to defend the indefensible.

I repeat, the fact that SimHQ, the most trusted sim site on the entire Internet, refuses to review COD until the 10th or so patch, tells you how bad COD really is.

Did this all come to you in a dream? ROF was slated on release, not sure if there were many reviews but general consensus was not good, much the same complaints as we see with CoD now.

Here is one I found I won't name anyone, as this was a pretty common theme "You'll find Zap that 90% of the RoF apologists have suddenly disappeared.

Take it from someone who was accused of being a troll on a.n.other forum for daring to question how great RoF is in its current form.Even the fanboi's are struggling with this one. "

As for reviews this is the conclusion of sim hq's

Closing Thoughts

Rise of Flight can’t really be given a blanket sort of rating or recommendation, in my opinion, as it really depends on what one is into or what one is looking for.

Non-flight simulation person...

I’d give it a pass, to be honest. It’s flight sim geek territory, with a frustrating separate setup and options GUI, an FM / DM that really begs for “full difficulty,” and needs the full flight sim geek hardware trifecta (TrackIR / HOTAS / Pedals) to enjoy. If the IL-2 Series didn’t turn you into one of us, Rise of Flight will only teach you to hate us.

General flight simulation person...

You probably should buy it. Tweak time is right up there with sims that have more advanced command options, even though the only gauge you’ll have on some aircraft is a tachometer. The FM / DM / AI are strong enough to keep you at it with the four included flyable aircraft for several goes at each of the single missions and a campaign or two, making the price of admission well worth the enjoyment. Even if it ultimately turns out that you put it down after two or three weeks, it’s money well spent.

WWI flight simulation person...

You have to buy it. The planes really are alive in the air, and the visceral joy of wind and wire isn’t to be missed. You’ll instantly compare it to every other WWI or WWII flight simulation you’ve ever owned and spot what’s missing, but there’s a lot here that the others didn’t have as well. Heck, Rowan’s Flying Corps only had six flyables (seven in the Gold Edition) with four campaigns, and you’ve probably got the box sitting on the shelf, same as me. You won’t fly Rise of Flight every day, but you will fly it enough to surprise yourself

hardly rave reviews when you consider this was written nearly 4 months after release

III/JG11_Tiger